Natasha Collett, staff writer
April 15, 2012 — A family in BC is recovering from a close brush with death following a lightning bolt that tore through their bedroom Thursday.
Julie Radom says she is lucky her family is still alive after a lightning bolt ripped through the chimney tower of her family home in Pitt Meadows, BC on Thursday.
The lightning struck just a few feet away from where Julie, her husband and their nine-month-old baby were sitting.
For several terrifying seconds, her husband feared the worst. "We disappeared because the roof came down and it covered us. So in his mind, we had vaporized and we had died. It was very traumatizing," Radom said.
But no one in the family was harmed, including three-year-old son Jamon, who was in another room.
Julie says she is very thankful her family is still alive. "We're all alive, we all got out, the house can be replaced." says Radom. She says she's actually more concerned about her children, "I'm worried about the kids ears mostly, they seem to be acting fine -- we're trying to remain as normal as possible."
The strike was felt around the neighbourhood, and nearby residents reported hearing a huge crash and seeing sparks flying.
Mike Nietzel, a neighbour who lives across from the Radoms says he heard a loud bang. "Unbelievable crash, I'd never heard anything like this -- it was very sharp, very loud, very quick." says Nietzel of hearing the noise after lightning struck his neighbour's home.
Fire officials say that lightning striking a home is extremely rare. Assistant fire Chief Brad Perrie says "It's like a concussion happened--all the rooms upstairs, the drywall is damaged and cracked."
The Radoms could be out of their townhouse for the next three months, but they're grateful to have survived the experience.