Top 10 videos: December 24
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Christmas light show in Toronto, Ontario. Wonder what the neighbours think? Wonder what the hydro bill will total?
- #9 -- Total Lunar Eclipse. Speaking of a light show, Nature put one on too this week. A total lunar eclipse happening on the Winter Solstice for the first time since 1638. Incredible!
- #8 -- Snow and flight cancellations in Paris, France. With 15 centimetres of snow in some areas, the festive season got off to a flaky start. Tours up the Eiffel Tower were cancelled, and flights were cancelled at the Charles de Gualle Airport.
- #7 -- House delivery in Devon, England. Check out this truck that slid on the snow and ice right into this home. As an observer noted, “I noticed a lorry doing a home delivery... with a difference.!”
- #6 -- Travel delays in London, England. It wasn't just issues on the roads in England this week. Heathrow, the world's busiest airport, was shut down for days and caused travel chaos around the world!
- #5 -- Flooding in Carnarvon, Australia. The town of Carnarvon, 900-kilometers north of Perth, was hit by one of the worst incidents of flooding in more than 50 years. Police and rescue officials airlifted people to safety who were stranded on rooftops. Hundreds spent the night in shelters.
- #4 -- Laguna Beach, California under water. Heavy rainfall led to an outpouring of mud from Laguna Canyon. Mud and water gushed into the homes of residents, the downtown shops and all over the streets. Residents, shopkeepers and city trucks were busy shoveling up the muddy mixture.
- #3 -- A washout in Shediac, New Brunswick. Floods on the other side of the continent was the big story as a Nor'easter blasted into Atlantic Canada. Heavy rain led to floods and evacuations in this area.
- #2 -- Battered boardwalk in Bouctouche, New Brunswick. Storm surge was also part of the story and half of this boardwalk in Bouctouche was carried away. This could cost half a million dollars to repair. The cost of repairing all the damage from the last three Maritime storms? Almost 50 million!
- And finally, #1 -- Storm surge in Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Que. This video really just speaks for itself. Check it out!
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
This week's videos were voiced by Kim MacDonald and Chris Murphy.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by BJ Stewart.