Top 10 videos of the week: December 23
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Cagayan de Oro, Philippines: Tropical storm Washi roared into the Philippines with what officials are calling the “devastation of a tsunami”. Daylight revealed the destruction. The country is appealing for international assistance.
- #9 -- Whyalla, Australia: Spring came to an end this week in Australia but strong summer-like storms have pelted parts of the country with heavy rain and large hail.
- #8 -- Tasmania, Australia: Those strong storms triggered flash flooding in Tasmania as well. Rush hour traffic was brought to a standstill as 10 mm of rain fell in less than 30 minutes.
- #7 -- Ladysmith, South Africa: The hail might have only been pea-sized, but there was enough of it to create a 10 centimetre blanket on the ground during this storm in South Africa.
- #6 -- Garden City, Kan: It’s a scene many people in this country wish was happening…for a White Christmas at least…but it’s in Kansas! New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas experienced similar conditions.
- #5 -- Anchorage, Alaska: Hardy people in Alaska plunged into icy water…but it was for a good cause. Donations were going to the Special Olympics. Temps were just below zero, so it wasn’t a typical polar dip.
- #4 -- Russia: Speaking of plunging! Icy roads and bumper to bumper traffic was not the best place for THIS car to go flying over an embankment and into other vehicles.
- #3 -- Montreal, Quebec: Sidewalks seemed to be just as slippery in parts of Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec this week. Lots of people…including our Montreal reporter Suzie Poisson got in on the fun.
- #2 -- Yantai, China: These two giant pandas are no strangers to snow…and they had an awful lot of fun playing in it. They even tried their paws at making snowballs
- #1 -- Sydney, Australia: With Christmas just around the corner, we thought we’d make our top video of this week of the animals at this zoo in Australia getting their presents from Santa a little earlier than the rest of us.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.