Top 10 videos of the week: June 3
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Washington, DC. Tourists and locals alike were taken a bit by surprise by the hot temperatures in the US capital. Students in schools without air conditioning were given the day off…and others found fun ways to stay cool.
- #9 -- Waterloo, Ontario. The “dog days of summer” finally returned to Ontario at the beginning of the work week…a humidex advisory was in place for much of the southern part of the province.
- #8 -- Baghdad, Iraq. Police in Baghdad, Iraq were wearing masks directed thin streams of traffic through eerily misty streets. The fine windblown dust goes everywhere, filtering under doors and through windows to coat tables and desks, powder hair and leave an iron-like taste on tongues.
- #7 -- Toronto, Ontario. It wasn’t quite the same story in Toronto, but strong winds whipped up sand for beachgoers on Wednesday. Ouch! And brought trees down cutting power to some in the city.
- #6 -- Holguin, Cuba. Here’s an example of “be careful what you wish for!” Cuba, already suffering from a drought, was rocked by a violent thunderstorm with “lemon-sized hail.”
- #5 -- Winnipeg, Manitoba. If you’ve never seen a cold-core funnel cloud, here’s a great example from one of our viewers in Winnipeg over the weekend. Generally these funnels never touch the ground and don’t cause any damage.
- #4 -- Near O'Neill, Nebraska. Stormhunter Mark Robinson was out in the elements as usual in Nebraska Monday night. He’ll find good use for this footage, just like we did.
- #3 -- Springfield, Massachusetts. A camera on the roof of a local television station captured video of a tornado as it moved across Springfield, Mass. At least two tornadoes touched down in the area. These types of storms are rarely seen the the US Northeast.
- #2 -- Wolfville, Nova Scotia. That same system that moved into the Maritimes overnight and put on quite a light show for many viewers…this video is just one example of the great video we received.
- And finally, #1 -- Coast of Avoca, Australia. A waterspout appeared off the central coast of Australia's New South Wales on Monday (May 30) causing a huge sprouting fountain in the middle of the ocean.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.