Top 10 videos of the week: January 13
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Sydney, Australia: This week features weather of all kinds. We’ll start Down Under where a thunderstorm with about 1000 lightning strikes in 10 minutes rained down on Sydney, Australia.
- #9 -- Christmas Island: We’ll stay in the Southern Hemisphere where this ship was pushed off its moorings by strong storms. Environmentalists are concerned about the ships cargo which included oil and fertilizer.
- #8 -- Houston, Texas: Strong storms roared through Houston, Texas early this week. Strong winds and localized flooding caused hazardous driving conditions and some odd sites like this manhole cover gushing water.
- #7 -- Hamilton, ON: There’s been an obvious lack of winter weather in parts of Canada so far this year. Students playing the Harry Potter game of Quidditch didn’t have snow or cold temps getting in the way of their fun.
- #6 -- Oakville, ON: The mild weather continued and golfers found themselves on the links. Some without their jackets.
- #5 -- Winnipeg, MB: And Winter-Peg Man-i-SNOW-ba isn’t living up to its name. Check out these people on an OUTDOOR patio on the second week of January.
- #4 -- North Vancouver, BC: You had to go west early this week to find the snow like these skiers did at Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver.
- #3 -- Kappl, Austria: For even more snow, you have to fly to Austria. Over 2 metres of snow has fallen, which sent skiers in droves to the Alps.
- #2 -- Tauranga, New Zealand: We’ve been following this story for months. The container ship Rena finally broke apart this week and beachgoers, containers and clean up crews all were on the shore.
- #1 -- Cordova, Alaska: Back to the snow story. The small fishing town of Cordova, Alaska had so much so that the National Guard had to be called in to help. Well over 4 metres has fallen since the new year began.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.