Top 10 videos of the week: January 27
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Helena, Arkansas: It’s been an incredible week of severe weather in the US Midwest. This is a late night video of a thunderstorm in Helena, Arkansas.
- #9 -- Maplesville, Alabama: At least 10 tornadoes tore through Alabama early this week. Trees were ripped down in Talladega National forest and a church and radio tower was destroyed in Maplesville.
- #8 -- Dallas, Texas: Floods like this are not uncommon in Texas. The state has half of the world’s rainfall records. But even this much rain won’t make much of a dent in the severe drought Texas has experienced over the last few seasons.
- #7 -- Taman Desa, Kuala Lumpur: The media in Malaysia are saying this damage in Kuala Lumpur was caused by a “freak storm.” Many people tweeted that it looked like a war zone after severe thunderstorms moved through the republic.
- #6 -- Brisbane, Australia: Summer so far hasn’t been kind to Australia this year. About 4,500 motorists were stranded in the Brisbane area after parts of south east Queensland were cut off by floods and damaged roads.
- #5 -- Davos, Switzerland: The world’s leaders are in Davos for an economic forum and so is about two metres of snow. It’s been useful though. Police have been building security fences with it.
- #4 -- Nadi, Fiji: In the middle of the South Pacific ocean, floods and landslides have also caused problems in Fiji. Authorities are having problems rescuing people because of the height of the water.
- #3 -- Akaslompolo, Finland: A solar storm threatened to bring down cell and satellite service around the world this week. Instead, it brought an incredible display of the Northern Lights.
- #2 -- Namestovo, Slovakia: This is a roof at a newly opened rink in Slovakia caving in under the weight of the snow. Former NHL player Richard Zednik was practicing with some young hockey players. All escaped without injury.
- #1 -- Bountiful, Utah: This video almost speaks for itself. Snow, speed and a lack of respect for Mother Nature in Utah over the weekend. Talk about a smash up derby.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.