Top 10 videos of the week: May 13
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Mississauga, ON. Summer-like weather in Mississauga was perfect for a day of fishing this week. Check out the size of fish this kid caught.
- #9 -- Changchun, China. Massive sandstorms hit northern China, shrouding cities in a yellow-orange haze that authorities warn make the air quality “hazardous.” The harsh weather was expected to ease as light rain, which can help clear dust in the air, was forecasted for the region.
- #8 -- Inner Mongolia, China. Regions in the central and eastern parts of north China's Inner Mongolia have had sleet for the beginning of their summer season. Snowfall has been really rare in May in the last 30 years, according to the local meteorological records.
- #7 -- Fredericton, NB. Water levels in Fredericton have dropped but officials are still warning residents to pay attention to flood advisories as more flooding is possible with rain in the forecast.
- #6 --Sandbagging in MB. Volunteers in Brandon, MB have stepped up to help their neighbours as the threat of flooding grows. Three hundred Alberta-based troops were deployed into Manitoba's flood zone.
- #5 -- Nanaimo, BC. A thunderstorm that rumbled in Nanaimo brought small hail to parts of the region.
- #4 -- Memphis, Tennessee. The Mississippi River continued rising toward record levels, flooding neighbourhoods and forcing some residents in the southeastern U.S. to evacuate. President Barack Obama declared parts of Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee as disaster areas due to flooding .
- #3 -- Central Philippines. A deadly deluge brought on by a typhoon brings chaos to central Philippines. More than 11,000 residents were forced to flee their flooded homes, moving to temporary shelters on higher ground. The typhoon is the Philippines first major storm of 2011 in a country which suffers around 20 per year.
- #2 -- Brandon, MB. It’s being called the flood of the century. Residents living along the Assiniboine River are on high alert and face possible evacuations.
- And finally, #1 -- Lorca, Spain. Thousands of residents in Lorca, Spain camped outside and stayed in shelters after Wednesday's fatal earthquake. Homes collapsed and historic churches crumbled to the ground.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.