Top 10 videos of the week: May 20
We get a lot of footage each week here at The Weather Network, so we decided to share our favourites with you. Here are the weather videos that had people talking in Canada and around the world this week.
- #10 -- Port Dover, ON. Weather wise it turned out to be a lucky Friday the 13th. An estimated 50,000 motorcyclist enthusiasts enjoyed highs in the 20ís.
- #9 -- London, ON. These golfers didnít let weather get in the way of their golf plans on the weekend. Despite heavy downpours and numerous puddles they still managed to get a round of golf in.
- #8 -- Bouctouche, NB Soggy fields in the Maritimes are also causing problems for farmers. Too much rain and not enough sunshine is delaying the planting season. Some parts of the Maritimes reported as much as 95 mm of rain .
- #7 -- Leon, Nicaragua. Nicaragua's Telica volcano spewed a huge cloud of gas and ash measuring more than one kilometre into the air on Wednesday. The volcano, which is one of the most active in the country, also generated a series of small earthquakes last week.
- #6 --London, England. Nine Gentoo penguins, who have travelled to London's Sealife from Edinburgh Zoo, seemed to enjoy exploring the newly designed Antarctic themed adventure area, as their new playground was unveiled to the public on Wednesday.
- #5 -- Vicksburg, Mississippi. The Mississippi River reached 56.7 feet, several inches above the record 56.2 feet set in 1927, according to the National Weather Service. 2.1 million acres of land were underwater in central Mississippi and up to 5,000 residents have evacuated as the flooding spreads.
- #4 -- Hoop and Holler Bend, MB.The controlled release point at the Hoop and Holler Bend is continuing to relieve the pressure on dikes downstream from Portage la Prairie. Warm, dry weather this week has also helped.
- #3 -- Saint Jean sur Richelieu, QC . It's like a nightmare repeating itself. Water was rising again in Quebec's Richelieu Valley. This after weeks of record flooding, which damaged 3,000 homes.
- #2 -- Barranquilla, Colombia. Flood waters surrounded cars and buses in a busy street on the weekend as creek water rose up causing panic and havoc. Fortunately, no one was killed or injured during the incident. Colombia has been battling heavy rains for nearly a year.
- And finally, #1 -- Slave Lake, AB. A huge wildfire destroyed or damaged 40 percent of Slave Lake. Hundreds of buildings have burned to the ground. It all started when 100 km/h winds caused the flames to spread quickly. The fire jumped two highways, spread through the town and forced thousands of people out of their homes.
Those are videos ten through one for this week. Don't forget to tune in to The Weather Network on TV every Friday morning for our weekly roundup of the top weather videos of the week.
The Weather Network's 'Top 10 Weather Videos' segment is created by B.J. Stewart.